Monday, June 25, 2012

Validation




Let's get one thing straight. I've been a Heat fan since the franchise began back in 1988. Prior to that I was a fan of Magic's Lakers, but as soon as Miami got a team, I transitioned allegiances. I'm pretty sure I can name ten out of the Heat's opening day roster from that inaugural season, from Rory Sparrow to Sylvester Gray. So, believe me that I have followed this team closely since its inception, and not a fair-weather fan.

It's starting to sink in that the Miami Heat are the NBA champions this year. Last year when this team came together, my gut told me that it would take two seasons for this roster to get on the same page. The history of the NBA is that teams need to struggle before they breakthrough. Yu saw that with the dynasties of the 80s and 90s as each team took its lumps before winning a title. The Big 3 Celtics have been the only exception to the rule in recent memory. Heat fans were spoiled because they got so close last year. Had they not gotten cocky in the second half of Game Four last year against Dallas, there is little doubt in my mind they would have won the title. Instead Wade started showboating a little too early, got Dallas riled up and Miami couldn't find a way to close out that game...which led to the whole series unraveling.


At the beginning of the year, I went on a national radio show and said that I thought Miami and OKC would meet in the Finals, not exactly going out on a limb, but I rarely make public proclamations. I was less sure of that pick as the playoffs rolled around; San Antonio was on fire and Miami looked unsettled late in the season. Miami fought through adversity in dispatching Indiana, Boston and OKC; there were a couple of times I thought we were screwed, namely Game 6 at Boston. What we witnessed was Lebron James validating his place among the league's all time greats with a cold blooded assassin performance for the ages.

When Lebron James came into the league, I didn't really care for him much. Who the fuck calls themselves King? I thought it was too much hype, too soon for an unproven quantity. So I didn't like the aura, but it was impossible to deny his incredible talent. Young Lebron was like a bionic Magic Johnson with a dose of MJ thrown in (no, he's not the next MJ). He took some real crappy Cleveland teams to dizzying heights.

 Now as happens with many Heat acquisitions, my perspective on Lebron changed when he got to Miami (damn did I hate Laker Shaq...but as soon as he was one of ours...I loved him). Suddenly as I saw him up close, I saw him in a different light. I still don't get the vitriol he has generated across the sports landscape. Lebron was getting picked apart fro all sorts of trivial matters...and worse somehow ended up with a choker label. Did people not know their NBA history? "Choking" has happened to plenty of NBA greats. From a sheer basketball perspective, Lebron is a masterpiece...multifaceted, unselfish, a physical specimen.

I'm real happy for him and his title, not so much as Heat fan (though I'm happy about that as well), but as a fan of basketball in general. Lebron plays the game the right way and is a worthy superstar of our generation.

I'm including a few links to some good columns in case you missed them:

Notable Heat Hater Bill Simmons
LeBron James wins his first title, and it won't be his last - Grantland

Long time Lebron chronicler, Brian Windhorst
NBA Finals -- LeBron James finally lives up to expectations - ESPN

No comments:

Post a Comment